To disseminate and promote adoption of available research findings and technology for enhanced community development.
To develop innovative extension training programs for various community target groups.
Promote and enhance community services so as to keep the general public informed about the technologies services and resources available in the university.
Create an interface between the university and the general public and to enhance strong and continuous contact between the university community and the general public.
The directorate currently undertakes the following major activities:
- Coordinating the participation of the university in shows, exhibitions and trade fairs.
- Coordinating visits to the university by groups of farmers, students, and industrialists on learning mission.
- Training various target groups in various fields e.g. the in-country training program for women.
- Development and launch of short courses in extension.
- Raising funds through the development of extension project proposals.
- Supporting university departments in the initiation and implementation of extension activities.
- Seeking and promoting partnerships with industry for extension service delivery.
- Initiating and participating in extension consultancy work.
- Development of extension information communication and education materials
Current Ongoing Projects:
- In-Country Training
- Youth Incubation and Mentorship Programme
- Business for rabbit selected rabbit keepers in Machakos and Nyeri Counties.
- Mkulima TV
- Shows and Exhibitions
- School and Farmer group visits to the University
- Training in agribusiness value chains for horticultural crops
- Socioeconomic Empowerment of over 9000 women through the In country training programme. Some have been selected as County representatives, others as Community Development agencies
- Over 540 radio programmes aired through the Farmers’ Voice Radio in the last 3 years.
- Over 20,000 customers reached through Shows and Exhibitions every year
- Over 200 schools have visited the university in the last 3 years.
Dates of Events 2014:
Here below are proposed dates of events for the Directorate of Extension & Technology Transfer, RPE Division 2014:
• September 05th, 2014 – JKUAT 5TH Open Day
• September 10th – 13th, 2014 – Central Kenya National Show – Nyeri
• September 29th – 05th October, 2014 – Nairobi International Trade Fair
• October 30th – 31st, 2014 – JKUAT 5th TECH EXPO
• November 13th – 14th , 2014 – JKUAT Scientific Conference Exhibition