As an arm of RPE Division Extension and Technology Transfer, seeks to link the results of training, research and innovation with the community. Initially the focus was on agriculture but over time, the focus has been expanding to include urban, peri-urban and rural populations and socio-economic activities that constitute development.
- To disseminate and promote adoption of available research findings and technology for enhanced community development.
- To develop innovative extension training programs for various community target groups.
- Promote and enhance community services so as to keep the general public informed about the technologies services and resources available in the university.
- Create an interface between the university and the general public and to enhance strong and continuous contact between the university community and the general public.
Towards the attainment of the above objectives, the section currently undertakes the following major activities:
- Coordinating the participation of the university in shows, exhibitions and trade fairs.
- Coordinating visits to the university by groups of farmers, students, and industrialists on learning mission.
- Training various target groups in various fields e.g. the in-country training program for rural women leaders; youths; SMEs and persons with disabilities.
- Seeking and promoting partnerships with industry for extension service delivery.
- Initiating and participating in extension consultancy work.
- Development of extension information communication and education materials.
- In-Country Training
- Taylor made courses
- Incubation for women business( rabbits fish chicken ) .
- producing Mkulima TV programs
- Shows and Exhibitions
- School and Farmer group visits to the University
- Training in agribusiness value chains for horticultural crops
- Socioeconomic Empowerment of over 9000 women through the In-country training program.
- Over 540 radio programs aired through the Farmers’ Voice Radio in the last 3 years.
- Over 20,000 customers reached through Shows and Exhibitions every year
- Over 200 schools have visited the university in the last 3 years.
Dates for Events 2015/2016:
- Open Day – September 03rd – 04th 2015 (has occurred)
- Central Kenya Show Nyeri – September 09th – 12th 2015 (has occurred)
- Nairobi International Trade Fair – September 28th – October04th 2015 (has occurred)
- JKUAT TECH EXPO – October 29th – 30th 2015 (has occurred)
- Scientific Conference Exhibition – November 12th – 13th 2015 (has occurred)
- CHE Exhibition – March 2016 (Yet to occur)