Production Department belongs to the Research, Production and Extension (RPE) Division. This Division is headed by Deputy Vice Chancellor, Prof Esther M. Kahangi. The Production Department is responsible for coordination and management of technology innovation projects, development and up scaling of innovation, coordination and evaluation of income-generating activities within the University. To achieve these objectives the Production Department provides secretariat for two key University Senate Committees namely: Innovation and Production Committee (IPC) and Income Generating Units Committee. The Department is responsible for the processing of innovation project proposals from University staff, carries out monitoring and evaluation functions during the implementation of project proposals funded through the JKUAT Innovation Projects Fund kitty. The Department also supports Project Innovators in engaging partners from the public and private sectors in up scaling of innovation outputs towards commercialization. The Department engages stakeholders and leads in the development of policy to support IGU operations, advises IGUs in matters relating to production and management, and provides University Management with IGU production performance data.
The functions of Production Department are aligned to the following two strategic objectives of the University:
• Enhancing Strategic and Value Added Technology Innovations.
• Efficient and Effective Management of Financial Resources of the University.
- Enhance strategic and value added innovation through funding of at least 5 Innovative ideas with potential for outputs of commercial value annually.
- Monitor and evaluate funded Innovation projects.
- Increase IGU production and income.
- Participate in at least one (1) innovation exhibition.
- Coordination and management of technology innovation projects
- Development and up scaling of innovations
- Coordination and evaluation of income-generating activities
- processing of innovation project proposals.
- M & E of project innovation projects .
- scaling of innovation outputs towards commercialization.
- Development of policy to support IGU operations,