The Food Technology Centre (FOTEC) of JKUAT was established in 2007, as an income generating unit (IGU) under the Research Production and Extension Division. The goal of FOTEC is to be a Centre in which small and micro enterprise food businesses can access technical support, practical solutions, advice and guidance on areas which are key to food business growth. This is in addition to developing JKUAT’s reputation of generating innovative and market ready food products that nutritious and of the highest quality.
The objectives of FOTEC include:
i. To produce and market specific food products and services.
ii. To facilitate further improvements of the developed, patented, or registered products
iii. To facilitate commercialization of innovation products through licensing, consultancy, or collaboration with potential investors
iv. To conduct short course training in food processing and value addition for women and youth groups, SME’S and other interested persons.
The FOTEC products are certified by the Kenya Bureau and Standards and are available for sale to the public. These include:
• Yoghurt –Strawberry and Vanilla
• Ready- to-drink juices (mango, beetroot cordial, carrot cordial, carrot- pineapple cordial, etc.)
• Jams (marmalade, mixed fruit)
• Sauces (Chili , tomato)
• Concentrated juices (passion, mango, pineapple, lemon)
• Natural Honey
• Uji bora
• Baked products (bread, scones, buns, cakes, doughnuts)
• Meat and fish products (sausages, bacon, meat loaf, smoked products)