The Publications Section, Research Directorate, RPE, is charged with publishing research publications generated within the University, and plays a major role in enabling the University to integrate teaching and research for effective application and preservation of knowledge and skills. The section does this through maintenance of two main regular publications, namely, The Journal of Agriculture, Science and Technology (JAGST), and the proceedings for the annual JKUAT Scientific, Technological and Industrialization Conference. The Publications Section therefore provides a forum for the University research community to participate in discovery, transmission, and preservation and enhancement of knowledge in agriculture, science and technology.
The Publications Section in addition serves as the heart of the annual JKUAT Scientific, Technological and Industrialization conference secretariat, and in this regard handles the following:
- Receipt and abstracts and full papers.
- Preparation of conference publicity material.
- Communication with participants, sponsors and other stakeholders.
The Journal Of Agriculture, Science And Technology
The journal of Agriculture, Science and Technology (JAGST) is a peer-refereed biannual research publication that was first produced in 1997, and launched in January 1998. It features research articles in Agriculture, Biotechnology, Forestry, Veterinary Medicine, Engineering, Architecture, and Physical and Social Sciences. It also carries current scientific reports and, occasionally, reviews of publications with a scientific orientation.
The journal serves as an important tool in the University’s Research, Production and Extinction (RPE) Division’s mandate to facilitate dissemination of research findings. The key objectives of the journal are:
- To provide a platform for the University staff and students, and researchers from the region and other parts of the world to participate in the discovery, transmission, preservation and enhancement of knowledge in various disciplinary areas.
- To contribute towards the University’s goal of integrating teaching and research for effective application and preservation of knowledge and skills.
- To provide a platform for sound academic discourse among researchers.
The journal is currently published under the stewardship of a twelve-member editorial board, which comprises nominated experts from varied subject disciplines. The Board is appointed by the Deputy Vice Chancellor, RPE, who is also the journal patron, and works on a three year renewable term.
The main function of the JAGST Board are to:
- Define the editorial policy of the publication.
- Collect articles for publication, and ensure timely review.
- Approve manuscripts for publication.
- Ensure timely production of journal issues, and,
- Develop new promotional or publication guidelines for the journal.
The journal is backed by a broad reviewer database that features more than 200 listed reviewers from varying disciplines and from all over the country and the region. It has, since the year 2004, been accessible online through African Journals Online (AJOL), a programme which was began in 1997 by the International Availability of Scientific Publications (INASP) to raise the visibility of African journals and create awareness of research conducted in Africa. Because of this expanded visibility, the journal receives submissions from such distant sources as Tanzania, Nigeria, South Africa, Iran, Jordan and China.
The journal has, since the year 2008, attracted more than 300 paper submissions since the year 2008, as depicted in the table below:
|Year||Number of Paper submissions|
During the period, 74 papers were published, of which 15 were from outside JKUAT, including 4 from outside the country.
It is in the year 2008 that the JAGST Editorial Board introduced a fee of Ksh 4000 for every paper accepted. Through this initiative, the journal has thus raised Ksh 296, 000
The annual JKUAT Scientific Conference has equally attracted many participants every year, resulting in publication of more than 450 papers since the year 2010, as indicated under.
|Number of Papers Published|