Suitably qualified candidates are invited to carry out research at the MSc and PhD levels, under the National Research Chair in Manufacturing which is being implemented by Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) and funded by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) through the National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI).
The research focuses on technological innovation for quality and competitiveness in the coconut value chain. The research programme’s training beneficiaries will be supported in terms of stipend and limited funding for research materials.
The research focus for PhD is in the following areas:
1. Socio economic aspects
2. Development of tools and machineries for coconut products processing
The focus for MSc is in the following areas:
1. Development of cosmetics and beauty products from coconut.
2. Utilization of coconut biomass.
3. Characterization and value addition of coconut and its products.
4. Development of technologies for adoption in coconut value chain.
The minimum requirements are as follows:
1. Applicants for PhD research should have an MSc in any business related course or any other relevant area of study.
2. Applicants for MSc research should have completed their course work in Chemistry, Engineering, Agriculture, Food Science and Technology, or any other relevant area.
3. Students registered or intending to register at JKUAT, Moi University or Multimedia University of Kenya, will have an added advantage.
Interested applicants should submit the following documents:
1. Letter of application.
2. Curriculum Vitae for the candidate.
3. BSc / MSc certificates and transcripts.
4. A concept note of intended research and motivation.
5. Recommendation letter from an academic or work supervisor
The application letter should be addressed to:
The Manufacturing Research Chair,
College of Engineering and Technology (COETEC),
P. O. Box 62000-00200
The documents can be hand-delivered at the Research Chair Office, located at the Innovation Prototyping Integrated Centre (iPIC) building at JKUAT, Juja Main Campus; or sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, so as to reach office by Thursday 13th February 2020.